Way back in 2020, immediately prior to the release of The Mandalorian season 2, I put together a list of essential episodes from the animated series The Clone Wars and Rebels, focusing mainly on Ahsoka Tano and on the history of Mandalore and the Darksaber. I shoved that into a Google Doc that I shared around to prep people who had never watched the animated series The Clone Wars and Rebels with a quickstart guide for characters making their live-action debut in The Mandalorian.
With the release of The Book of Boba Fett and the Disney+ slate of upcoming series, apparently one each for just about every character in the Star Wars universe, I’ve updated the list with a few more characters.
A few notes
- This list contains episodes which I personally think are important or interesting. Other people who have also sat through a bajillion hours of these shows and movies are entitled to make their own lists.
- For table entries with multiple episodes, the episodes comprise a story arc.
- I use the season.episode number convention. (Example: episode 3 of season 1 would be 1.3. An arc of episodes 12-14 from season 2 would be 2.12-14)
- Main characters/entities for an arc are in bold.
- Currently supported characters/entities
- Ahsoka Tano
- Bo-Katan Kryze
- Boba Fett
- Asajj Ventress (Clone Wars series villain)
- Maul (oops, spoiler)
- Disney+ lists The Clone Wars in their original release order, which does not correspond at all with the actual story chronology until the final seasons. The list below conforms to the proper order.
- Bad Batch season 1 features many supporting characters we’ve seen in other series. I haven’t added any of them here, although that may change.
- Rebels has a more linear, self-contained storyline. You can watch the whole thing or not. Warning: Ezra Bridger is just so ducking annoying.
The Clone Wars
|Season . Episodes(s)||Featured Characters||Importance||Notes|
|Movie||Ahsoka , Asajj||High||Introduces Ahsoka as Anakin Skywalker’s new padawan, Introduces villain Asajj Ventress|
|1.2-4||Ahsoka||Medium||Fills in Ahsoka’s background and explains her character; Ahsoka is only a major character in 1.2 and 1.3|
|1.9-10||Ahsoka, Asajj||Medium||Ahsoka and Asajj are only major characters in episode 1.9|
|1.19||Ahsoka||Medium||Ahsoka learns important lesson|
|2.1-3||Ahsoka||High||Major ties to future SW plots|
|2.17||Ahsoka||Low||Introduces Hondo Ohnaka, who makes frequent appearances in future plot lines|
|2.6-8||Ahsoka||High||Introduces a pivotal character for Ahsoka’s future|
|2.12-14||Mandalore, Darksaber||High||Provides important background for Mandalore and also Bo-Katan Kryze, although she does not appear|
|2.20-22||Boba Fett||Medium||Catches up with Boba Fett after the death of his “father” in Episode II|
|3.5-6||Ahsoka , Mandalore||Medium|
|3.10-11||Ahsoka||Medium||Introduces an important character for Ahsoka’s future|
|3.12-14||Asajj||Medium||Asajj’s backstory and her relationship with another major villain|
|4.14||Ahsoka , Bo-Katan Kryze, Darksaber||High||First appearance of Bo-Katan|
|4.19-20||Asajj , Boba Fett||High||Boba Fett only appears in 4.20|
|4.21-22||Maul||High||Maul really hates Obi-Wan Kenobi (This arc’s storyline is picked up later in 5.1)|
|5.2-5||Ahsoka||Medium||Important character development for Ahsoka, also introduces Saw Gerrera from Rogue One|
|5.1||Maul||Medium||Maul really, really hates Kenobi|
|5.14-16||Maul, Bo-Katan Kryze, Mandalore, Darksaber||High||Maul really, really, really hates Kenobi|
|5.17-20||Ahsoka , Asajj||Highest||The most critical turning point in Ahsoka’s life. Asajj appears in 5.19-20|
|6.1-4||High||Important background for the clone troopers and Order 66|
|6.10-13||Yoda||Low||Not vital, but shows origins of an important piece of Jedi mythology|
|7.5-8||Ahsoka , Bo-Katan, Maul||High||Bo-Katan and Maul briefly appear in episodes 7-8|
|7.9-12||Ahsoka, Maul, Bo-Katan, Mandalore||Highest||The final gut-punch episodes. Also, Maul still really hates Kenobi|
|Season . Episode(s)||Featured Characters||Importance||Notes|
|2.1-2||Ahsoka||High||Catches up with Ahsoka after the fall of the Republic|
|2.3-4||Ahsoka||Low||Ahsoka appears only briefly in both episodes but it focuses on an important character from her past|
|2.10||Ahsoka||High||Ties with Clone Wars episodes 2.1-3|
|2.13||Mandalore||Medium||Introduction to Mandalore under the Empire|
|2.21-22||Ahsoka, Maul||Highest||Maul also really hates the Emperor|
|3.20||Maul||High||And Maul just still really hates Kenobi|
|4.1-2||Mandalore, Bo-Katan, Darksaber||High|
- Theatrical Episodes I & II
- A few stray episodes from The Clone Wars
- The Clone Wars animated movie
- Lots of Clone Wars episodes totally out of order
- Final 4 episodes (Season 7, episodes 9-12) of The Clone Wars. This arc overlaps with the film Episode III. (Arguments can be made for a different viewing order, but this is the one I like.)
- CW episode 7.9
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Remaining CW episodes: 7.10-12
- Star Wars Bad Batch
- Star Wars Rebels
- Films: Rogue One, Episodes IV-VI
- The Mandalorian
- The Book of Boba Fett jumps around in time but seems to take place immediately after season 2 of Mando
- Star Wars Resistance: animated series leading up to Episode VII (I couldn’t watch past the first season)
- Episodes VII-IX